Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Big Easy

Since marrying Scott I have become a huge University of Utah football fan. Now you can't really blame Scott for this (dad) although the U is where Scott received his graduate degree, it was actually Jenelle who got me addicted. Jenelle is a gal I used to work with and she asked me to go to a game with her probably about six or seven years ago and since then I've been hooked. We've now had season tickets for about five years. We have followed the Utes through good times and bad, but I'm happy to say that last year was indeed a good year. By the time all was said and done, the Utes ended the season 12-0 with an invite to the BcS Sugar Bowl in New Orleans to play Alabama. With much time and effort on Scott's part, we were able to go to New Orleans and cheer on the Utes. We took Nicole with us since she is also a season ticket holder and has followed the team closely this year.
Nicole On Tram at Atlanta Airport Headed to New Orleans We had to take a red eye late Monday night 12/29/08...this was a for first Nicole. We arrived in New Orleans Tuesday morning and the game wasn't until Friday night so we had plenty of time to explore and enjoy the food in the Big Easy. Tuesday night we decided to take Nicole to Bourbon street. Now I know most would say this probably wasn't a good idea but we wanted to take Nicole to a fun family restaurant called Cajun Cabin. We chose that night because it was 12/30 and the next night would be New Year's eve and Bourbon street would just be crazy until after the Sugar Bowl.
After we were done eating we were headed back to the hotel when we came across a street band jamming at the end of Bourbon street. Nicole was really intrigued with these musicians. The group was made up of a bunch of young kids just basically having a jam session in the street. The police were there on horseback to help with crowd control. People give these horses and policemen a wide berth when they see them coming. I wouldn't want to be stepped on by one of these horses.
And of course what would a trip to New Orleans be without a stop at Cafe Du Monde for beignets!! I think this is how I gained my five pounds that I put on from this trip. I'm sure it wasn't from all of the gumbo, jumbalya, muffulettas and etoufee we ate. Can you say YUM!?!?

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Well, I love my friends night, but I would love a family game night just as much. The thing is no one has put one together yet. Thank you for volunteering your house. I may have to take you up on that offer. We asked Dan's mom, but they are moving this month, and game night isn't until the 31st.

Dan got in a car wreck last night.