Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Remembering

This last Monday was Memorial Day. Growing up I always thought this holiday was for decorating the graves of any one you might ever have met that had died. It wasn't until I got older that I realized why the holiday was really created....for remembering those who died fighting for this great country of ours.
I was reading USA Today the weekend edition and saw the story "A Club Nobody Wants To Be In" about the soldiers from the Iraq war buried in a special section of Arlington Cemetery and the loved ones left behind to mourn them. It tells about the bonds that have formed of those loved ones left behind to mourn. I think it is this part of the war that we don't see. My heart goes out to the many mothers, fathers, wifes, husbands, sisters, brothers, daughters and sons of those lost in this war and at the same time I am grateful that it wasn't my son.
My son served his time in Iraq from March 2005-Feb 2006 and thankfully returned! He served because this is what he wanted to do! He wanted to fight for the freedoms we enjoy and make sure that another 9/11 never happens again on U.S. soil. I am proud of his unselfish service as I am grateful for all of the other men and women who have volunteered for this duty! May God keep them safe and return them home to their loved ones soon!!!
God Bless America!

No comments: